Do you find it challenging to carry around all your camera gear, especially if you have to use a separate bag for it? I know I have. It can be a hassle to keep track of multiple bags, and it can get tiring to lug them around all day. But what if I told you there’s a solution that can make things much easier?
Enter camera bag inserts – a special kind of accessory that can transform any backpack into a convenient, all-in-one camera bag. Not only does it save you from the hassle of carrying multiple bags, but it also keeps your gear organized and protected, no matter where your photography journey takes you.
In this post, we’ll explore the best camera bag inserts available in the market today and delve into why they’re an ideal solution for backpacks. We’ll also discuss how to choose the best one for your specific needs, so you can enjoy a seamless and stress-free photography experience.
So, let’s get started and take the first step towards a more comfortable and convenient way of carrying your camera gear!
- Dedicated camera bags are expensive and limited in purpose, usually only accommodating camera gear and a few accessories.
- Camera bag inserts can be used in existing bags and offer protection for camera gear while leaving enough space for other daily items.
- Tenba BYOB 10 is the best camera insert overall, with padded dividers, mesh side pockets, and front and rear pockets for additional storage. It can fit a DSLR/mirrorless camera and up to 4 lenses and accessories.
- Mountainsmith Kit Cube is a great option for carry-on bags, with padded compartments that can be adjusted to fit a variety of equipment. The outer covering is water-resistant, but not waterproof.
- The Peak Design Camera Cube is a durable camera insert that can fit into Peak Design’s backpacks and travel bags. It features padded dividers, a weatherproof exterior, and a top handle for easy carrying.
- The S-ZONE insert is a good choice if you have a messenger bag or satchel-style bag, and can accommodate one camera with a large lens, a camera with a small lens and one extra lens, or just three lenses.
- The Tenba Tool Box is a compact camera insert that is great for carrying smaller cameras and their accessories, but it doesn’t offer as much protection as other inserts.
- Lens wraps and pouches are a useful way to protect your lenses when you’re on the go, but pouches may be more secure and tailored to a specific lens size.
The problem with camera bags
Even though you can go out and buy a dedicated camera bag, most of them are quite expensive, and they’re very limited in purpose. You can only carry a camera, some lenses, and other accessories. Good luck trying to fit any other items! At best, you may be able to sneak in an umbrella or water bottle.
Additionally, most camera bags have fixed compartments, so if you’re not using all of them, you’re essentially wasting space because there’s not much else you can fit in those dedicated lens/camera gear compartments.
So unless you’re a seriously professional photographer that needs a dedicated bag for all the specialized camera equipment you carry, you don’t need to spend your money on a dedicated camera bag. Instead, you can pick up a simple camera bag insert, which will fit into your existing bag.
Camera bag inserts have the advantage of protecting your camera gear and still leaving enough space for your other daily carry, like a laptop, a book or two, and anything else you may need.
Another advantage camera bag inserts provide is comfort. Let’s face it: camera bags are not comfortable, and you probably already have a favorite backpack which is so comfortable you hardly feel it on your back.
Backpacks also comparatively less expensive(or at least more value for money) than camera bags. So if you could combine a backpack and a camera bag into one without a significant difference in cost at worst, or saving money at best, why wouldn’t you?
Not only can camera bag inserts work with backpacks, but satchels, shoulder bags, and tote bags too. You just have to find the right size.
So if you don’t like hauling a backpack, but instead prefer to sling a shoulder bag or tote, an insert will be a good solution for you.
At the end of the day, hikers, students, and hobbyists will find camera bag inserts to be the ultimate solution of convenience
Hikers won’t want to carry an entire extra bag, and this would solve their problem.
Students already have a lot to carry and an extra bag is just cumbersome, and this would solve their problem.
Hobbyists don’t want to haul an extra bag around just for fun, and this would solve their problem.
Finally, an added secret benefit is being able to fit everything you need in a compact manner, which will make a huge difference in air travel!
Best Camera Bag Inserts: Top 6 picks
1. Tenba BYOB 10: Best overall camera insert
Normally BYOB means something else, but here, I’m assuming it means bring your own bag!
The BYOB camera insert is really awesome and I think it’s the BEST camera insert out there. It’s a bit more expensive than the other ones but it’s totally worth the money in my opinion.
The reason being is that you can fit a DSLR/mirrorless camera and up to 4 lenses and accessories.
Whether you have a backpack, a messenger bag, a duffel, or a carry-on, or what have you(!), the BYOB 10 should fit easily.
The exterior of this camera insert is very well padded, and the dividers are also padded to keep your gear from bumping into other pieces of gear.
Another really nice design touch is the mesh side pockets that stretch out to fit a wide variety of items like your wallet, phone, or even a small water bottle.
There’s also a D-ring to attach keys or a carabiner for hanging a lot more accessories.
There are also front and rear pockets for even more storage. It’s also got a little handle on top so you can use it as a lunchbox style carry.
All in all, Tenba have taken a limited amount of space and turned it into a very functional and expandable bag. If you don’t mind spending the slightly extra money(and you may want to considering it will house $1000s of dollars of camera gear), you should stop reading here and pick up the Tenba BYOB 10 🙂
The Tenba BYOB is also available in smaller sizes.
- PROTECTION IN ANY BAG: Designed to carry & protect a camera inside a larger backpack, suitcase or handbag, the BYOB's soft shell easily molds to the shape of a carrying bag. They work with a variety of camera systems, with pockets to organize accessories
- INSERT YOUR CAMERA: The BYOB 10 fits a DSLR or mirrorless camera with 2-4 lenses & accessories & features padded dividers that are adjustable to fit multiple configurations, & a zippered top cover that can be folded back to allow quick access to gear.
- INDUSTRY LEADING EQUIPMENT PROTECTION: For 40 years, Tenba has been building industry-leading equipment cases for rental houses, studios and professional imagemakers. Our cases can withstand being shipped or checked as luggage while ensuring protection
- HEAVY DUTY: Our Transport series is a collection of maximum-protection cases for everything from cameras to computers, lighting to grip gear & more. Made with ballistic & Cordura nylon, YKK zippers, seatbelt-grade webbing, & heavily reinforced stitching.Features interior dimensions of 10 inch W x 7.5 inch H x 4 inch D ( 25 X 19 X 10 centimeter )
- COMPARE THE QUALITY: Compare our camera bags, air cases, messenger bags, laptop bags & travel bags to similar products from Timbuk2, Travelon, Tous, Herschel, Vera Bradley, Chrome, Manhattan Portage, Eastpak, Tokidoki, Asus, Patagonia or Kenneth Cole
2. Mountainsmith Kit Cube: great for carry-on bags
Featuring a striking black and yellow design, the Mountainsmith Kit Cube is a really nice insert that fits easily into a backpack or roller bag.
The internal compartments are padded and you can switch around the sizes of the cubicles to adjust the sizes for fitting a variety of equipment from your camera, lenses, memory cards, extra batteries, and chargers.
The outer covering is a water resistant fabric that will help keep your camera gear safe even if you’re in the field and have to set your bag on some wet or damp grass.
It should be noted that it’s water resistant and not water proof, so don’t plan on dropping it into a swimming pool anytime soon.
A zip closes all around the cube for a secure and easy open and close.
There’s also a zip compartment in the inside of the top closure for throwing in some memory cards or flat items.
- Padded compartment with internal dividers for custom camera carry
- Water resistant exterior fabric panels
- Color-coded pockets to organize new vs used memory cards, storage devices, etc.
- Water resistant 5000mm PU fabric panels for extreme durability in the field
- Fits most FAA carry-on sized lugagge and bags
3. S-ZONE Water Resistant DSLR SLR Camera Insert Bag: great for messenger bags
If you have a messenger bag or satchel style bag, the S-Zone insert is a really good choice. It’s comparatively sleek and tall, ideal to fit into a messenger bag.
It’s made out of nylon and is water resistant. It’s also really lightweight, and when you’re not using it, you can fold it up by removing the inner dividers and flatten it down to condense the size to a certain extent.
You have two dividers in this bag insert that you can adjust to a variety of configurations. The really cool thing about this insert is that you can use it to carry one camera with a large lens, a camera with a small lens and one extra lens, or just use it to carry three lenses.
This model is available in 4 different sizes which you can choose depending on the size of your bag and the size of your camera.
For really small DSLR cameras and just one lens, the smallest size will do the trick.
If you use a bigger lens that has more zoom, you’ll need the medium or large size.
Of course, you’re also limited to the size of your backpack/messenger bag. For a large backpack, you can use any of the sizes. For a messenger bag, you’ll probably be limited to small or medium.
- Material: High density nylon, Raindrop proof, Light weight, Foldable and Portable.
- Dimensions: 9''Lx7''Hx4''W inch,suitable for a DSLR/SLR camera and ONE camera lens
- Absorbing shock and vibration to protect your camera against damages, dust and scratches
- DIY a camera bag, you could insert this case into most of S-ZONE backpacks or messenger bags
- Detachable divider enable you to adjust the space of this case to match your camera well
4. Tenba Tool Box
Since we’re talking about camera inserts in general and not specifically DSLR camera inserts, it’s worth mentioning the Tenba Tool Box too.
Essentially, the Tenba Tool Box is the same as the Tenba BYOB, except it’s much flatter and more compact. That makes it a really good choice for carrying GoPros(or similar action cameras) and smaller, compact cameras and their accessories.
It doesn’t have any of the extra bells and whistles that the BYOB has(the mesh pockets and extra compartments, but you can still rearrange the inserts to any configuration and fit quite a bit of smaller gear in it.
One other huge difference is that the top is NOT padded but it is see through. So you won’t get protection from all sides.
Since it’s smaller, you can fit it in even smaller bags, too!
- Rigid, padded Tool Box provides protected storage and organization for equipment and accessories inside any bag.
- Clear, PVC-free TPU window so contents are visible at a glance.
- Durable elastic loops keep cables untangled without the need for individual cord wraps, and are also perfect for batteries.
- Fits GoPro camera systems, professional shoe-mount flash units, radio triggers, mirror less cameras and lenses, and so much more.
- Movable dividers can be repositioned to any configuration. Rigid design keeps contents from moving.
5. Lens wraps
Sometimes you don’t really need anything special for your camera itself but you do need something to carry your delicate lenses in. In case your camera insert does not have enough room for yet an extra lens, or you just need something safe to put your lens in before putting it in your everyday bag, consider using a lens wrap.
Some companies make dedicated lens wraps, while others make general protective wraps that you can use for anything from lenses to the camera itself.
- Wrap around lenses, tools, or anything else that needs protection
- Solid black color for easy organization and quick ID
- Medium 15-inch square size
- Made of padded, Velcro-compatible knit with a non-scratch nylon backing
- Velcro tabs on all four corners let each wrap be self-secured in any number of ways
- Our product is a lens wrap that keeps equipment from scratches and bumps in your carry case or bag. It’s a durable DSLR wrap sleeve made of dustproof neoprene material. Perfect for keeping out dirt from touching your gadgets. Never worry about packing your gear for travel ever again!
- This camera wrap thickness is 3mm, designed with a soft but durable nylon backing. It prevents any scratches from gracing the surface of any expensive equipment to preserve its quality as much as possible. You can never be too careful. Give your camera lenses the care they deserve. Get your camera protective wrap now!
- The velcro tabs in this camera wrap cloth are designed with hook-and-loop closures that fasten things in place. These fasteners are secure and strong which prevent your camera lenses from falling out of the sleeve.
- This neoprene wrap conforms to a variety of shapes to fit your lenses better. The flexible material doesn’t fill up the space in your camera bag and provides additional cushioning for any movement that can affect the contents of your case.It’s easy to wrap around the lens and no hassle to take off.
- Our camera lens wrap is perfect for different types of equipment, not limited to camera lens. Great for other small items like phones, chargers, and other camera accessories you want to pack while travelling with extra padding to boot.
- The camera wrap fabric is made of【 polymer material】 and processed with 【nano-technology】, and has 【great bonding force】 that 【won't be compromised after wash】.
- The PGYTECH tech protective wrap can be 【form-fitted safely】 around cameras, lenses, small tripods, filters, iPad, or anything else.
- Soft and comfortable. Constructed from 【ripstop materialit】 keeps your valuables from 【scratches and bumps】
- The smooth interior side of the camera lens wrap can 【wipe out stains】 on screens or other tools.
- Four designed pattern for you to choose. Special for fashionista/ photographer/ digital enthusiast. More uses are waiting for you to discover...
6. Lens pouches
You can also use lens pouches instead of lens wraps. Pouches may be a bit more secure and snug and have a more secure zip open and close.
The only disadvantage is that you’ll have to buy a pouch that is the same size as your lens. With wraps, you have more flexibility and a single wrap can fit many sizes of lenses.
- 【BUILT TO PROTECT CAMERA LENS BAG】: Thick water-resistant neoprene camera lens case protects against moisture, sand, dust, and accidental bumps or scratches.
- 【INCLUDES】: Small, Medium, and Large neoprene lens bag / lens case for Mirrorless camera lenses.
- 【PREMIUM QUALITY】：The lens case is made of robust, padded and water-repellent nylon material, which can well protect your lens from moisture, sand, dust and accidental bumps or scratches, perfect choice to place camera lens.
- 【CONVENIENT HANDLE & CLIP ROPE】Each lens pocket has a hand-holding belt. The opening of the bag can be shrunk by adjusting the button. The reinforced clip on the rope keeps your lens from shifting out, provides a convenient and secure way to take out the lens.
- 【CARRYING OPTION】: Attach the lens pouch to your bag or belt by way of the included carabiner. A good partner for outdoor shooting.
- 【4 PACK INCLUDE】Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large Neoprene Pouch Bags for DSLR Camera Lens + MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth.
- 【COMPATIBLE MODELS】Compatible with almost all camera lenses. Works for Sony, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, Pentax, Panasonic, Leica, Sigma, Tamron, etc.
- 【PRACTICAL LENS CASE】With waterproof, dustproof, moistureproof and shock absorption function, protecting lens against bad weather, keeping your valuable camera equipment safe and dry, search ASIN: B06XPQ3327 for the waist strap that matched with the lens cases.
- 【THICK WATERPROOF FABRIC】Thick soft neoprene protects lens, telephoto zoom from accidental bumps and scratches.
- 【AFTER SALES SERVICE】If there is any question about the products, please feel free to contact us, Powerextra offers 24 hours friendly customer service!
- (3 PACK) Includes: Altura Photo Small, Medium, and Large neoprene lens bag / lens case for DSLR and Mirrorless camera lenses.
- BUILT TO PROTECT CAMERA LENS BAG: Thick water-resistant neoprene camera lens case protects against moisture, sand, dust, and accidental bumps or scratches.
- LENS POUCH WITH DUAL ATTACHMENT POINTS: A belt loop and Snap and swivel clip for convenient and secure transport.
- Lenses Pouch COMPATIBLE with lenses from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, Pentax, Panasonic, Sony, Leica, Sigma, Tamron, and more.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Backed by Our 90-Day Satisfaction Guarantee.
In conclusion, camera bag inserts offer a practical and cost-effective solution to the limitations of dedicated camera bags. By using an insert, you can protect your camera gear while also having enough space for your other daily essentials.
Additionally, inserts can work with a variety of bags, such as backpacks, shoulder bags, and totes, making them a versatile option for hikers, students, hobbyists, and anyone else who wants to avoid carrying an extra bag.
Not only that, but using an insert can also help you pack more efficiently for air travel. So, next time you’re heading out with your camera gear, consider investing in a camera bag insert and discover the comfort and convenience it can provide.