The rise of GoPro cameras has revolutionized the world of travel and adventure photography. Even for those with little to no experience, it’s now possible to capture stunning shots that showcase their escapades. However, to truly elevate your footage, you’ll need to invest in the right gear – and that’s where a GoPro tripod comes in.
Although searching for a tripod may not seem like the most exciting task, the right one can make all the difference in capturing unforgettable moments. That’s why we’ve combed through the web to find the best GoPro tripod mounts available today. We’ve analyzed their quality, price, and versatility to provide you with a comprehensive guide.
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a budding enthusiast, the world of GoPro mounts can be overwhelming. But fear not, as we’re here to help you navigate through it all. So sit back, relax, and let us take you through the wonderful world of GoPro tripod mounts.
- A good GoPro tripod can improve the stability of your setup and enhance the overall quality of your time-lapses.
- Many GoPro mounts can also double as a selfie stick, making them a great addition for travel and group shots.
- GoPro tripods with ultra-adjustable features can make it easier to compose your shots and add more creativity to your images.
- The Joby Gorillapod is a versatile and highly adjustable tripod that can wrap around virtually any solid object.
- The GoPro Shorty Mini Tripod is a 2-in-1 mount that combines the extendable convenience of a selfie stick with the stability of a tripod and is super portable.
- There are a broad spectrum of price ranges and options for GoPro tripods and mounts available in 2021, making it easy to find one that fits your needs and budget.
- The GoPro 3 Way Grip is a waterproof, 3-in-1 mount that can be used as a grip, extendable arm, or tripod, making it a great option for water sports and travel.
- The Suptig Jaws Flex Clamp is a sturdy option that can clamp onto any stable surface and comes with a 12-month warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- The UBeesize Tripod S is a versatile option that can accommodate both smartphones and GoPros and comes with a wireless remote for hands-free shooting.
- Consider the durability and build quality of the tripod, as your camera work is likely to be in rougher environments than usual.
- The JOBY GorillaPod is a popular and versatile option with flexible legs that can wrap around objects.
- The Manfrotto PIXI Mini is a compact and sturdy option with a push-button locking mechanism.
- The Fotopro UFO 2 has a tough and durable design with waterproof legs, making it a good choice for outdoor use.
- The Smatree 3-Way Tripod is a portable and flexible option that can also be used as a selfie stick.
- The eCostConnection Tripod Stand is a simple and affordable option with a built-in bubble level for improved accuracy.
- When choosing a tripod for your GoPro, consider the durability of the product and make sure it can withstand the environments you’ll be using it in.
- Check the weatherproofing of the tripod to ensure it can handle extreme conditions.
- Think about the dimensions of the tripod and whether it will be adequate for your use case.
- Look for a tripod that is highly adjustable and easy to tweak for each shot. The best tripods make it effortless to adapt to different scenarios on the fly.
Why You Should Consider a GoPro Tripod
It’s not just travel bloggers who can benefit from a good GoPro mount; there are a number of factors that make them an excellent addition to most people’s kit. Whether you take action shots or film glorious landscapes with your GoPro, the right tripod can be a godsend.
Below are some of our favorite things about owning a good GoPro mount.
They Can Elevate Your Time-Lapses
A killer feature of newer GoPro models is the built-in time-lapse feature that can create gorgeous videos over longer periods of time. One thing that can really let your time-lapses down is the stability of your setup. If your GoPro is shaky while you record, your time-lapse will suffer as a result.
A GoPro tripod goes a long way to improve the overall stability of your gear.
They Double as a Selfie Stick
Of course, this isn’t true of every GoPro mount, but many options use an extension pole that works very well as a selfie stick. One of the most common use cases for GoPro cameras is during holidays and trips with other people – times where you’re more likely to be more selfie-inclined.
Add an extension pole to the wider-than-average width of most GoPro lenses, and you’re looking at a selfie that can fit a whole lot into frame. Action shots that take in the whole group are way easier with a good GoPro tripod.
Composing Your Shot Is Easier
In certain contexts, a tripod mount can make it much easier to compose your GoPro shots. Many of the best GoPro tripods are ultra-adjustable by default with rubber feet and extension arm settings that can be tweaked endlessly.
While less relevant for impromptu shots, this can breathe new life into the images you plan to take.
Best GoPro Tripod and Mount Recommendations
The list below contains GoPro tripod options from a broad spectrum of price ranges. We’ve tried to include options for every budget. The list below contains some of the best GoPro tripods available in 2021.
1. Joby Gorillapod
The unique, flexible legs of the Joby Gorillapod make it an excellent GoPro mount. This tripod comes with legs than can wrap around virtually any solid object. This allows the tripod mount to adapt to any environment an adventurer throws at it.
The ball head leg design seems very well made and allows for smooth adjustments on the fly. Not only can they grip around a wide range of surfaces and objects, they also double up as a makeshift grip for taking selfies or trickier shots.
With a panning bed that can spin 360° and a 90° tilt capacity, this is one of the most adjustable tripods on this list. This versatility is expanded further by the ability to mount external microphones and other accessories. The quick-release plate makes it easier to attach and detach your GoPro quickly.
Just watch out if you’re using a larger camera like a DSLR, the lack of a safety plate could let you down. For smaller GoPros, though, this shouldn’t be an issue. Overall, this is one of our favourite GoPro tripods for versatile, easy adventure shots.
- Great ball head design that can wrap around objects easily
- Super-adjustable for fine tuning your composition
- Mounting accessories is a snap
- The non-standard quick release plate on this GoPro mount will be a let down for some
2. GoPro Shorty Mini Tripod
The GoPro Shorty is what happens when you combine the extendable convenience of a selfie stick with the stability of tripods. This mini tripod compacts down to pocket-sized proportions when you don’t need it and stretches out to great distances when you do.
The intelligent design of the GoPro shorty allows it to perform the job of both your selfie stick and your tripod. Three small legs at the bottom of the unit can open out to form a stable base for your GoPro. The ergonomic handle is very comfortable and makes it much easier to take selfies while on the go.
Within the context of the type of photography GoPros usually deliver, this kind of mount can make a world of difference. Whether you’re a travel blogger looking to optimize their recordings, or a tourist wanting to up their selfie game, this GoPro tripod 2-in-1 is tough to beat.
At just 2.2oz, the GoPro Shorty Mini Tripod is super-easy to carry with you no matter where you’re going. While it’s a little unconventional, we love this one.
- Doubles as a selfie stick
- Super portable and easy to use
- Works well as a mini tripod
- Ergonomic design
- The GoPro branding pushes the price up a little too far in our opinion
3. GoPro 3 Way Grip
Another unique option, the GoPro 3 way camera grip can be used as either a grip, extendable arm or as a tripod. The overall design of this mount/ grip is pretty impressive. Within the main handle of the unit is a small tripod that folds away when not in use.
This can either be attached to the bottom of the unit, or removed entirely to be set up on its own. This level of versatility can be great to have when out on your adventures. If you film a lot of water sports with your GoPro, this extension arm is worth considering.
The body is waterproofed throughout for peace of mind when filming the rapids. The extra reach this arm gives you can really elevate your videos of your boat and group.
While you wouldn’t want to test its limits too much with your GoPro camera attached, this accessory seems well made and should last you for quite some time. If you need to improve the versatility of your travel kit, this is an excellent choice.
- Unique 3-in-1 design is very flexible
- Waterproofing for excursions to the rapids
- Durable build quality
- The included thumb screws can be a little finicky
4. Suptig Jaws Flex Clamp GoPro Camera Mount
The dual clamping and ball head design of this option makes it well suited for GoPro cameras. Effortlessly clamp your mount onto any stable surface and you’re away! The Suptig Jaws flex is compatible with a fair few GoPro cameras, right back to the GoPro Hero 2.
The adjustable “goose neck” body can be positioned at virtually any angle, making this a versatile tool for backpackers and holiday goers alike. It also allows the mount to double as a sort of stationary selfie stick for group photos and timed individual shots.
Overall, the build quality of this tripod seems tough enough to withstand a few knocks and drops, but it may not stand up to regular abuse.
This is an important thing to keep in mind when looking for a new GoPro tripod, as your camera work is likely to be in much rougher environments than usual. For some extra peace of mind, the Jaws Flex tripod also comes with a 12-month warranty and a 30-day money back guarantee.
You may have noticed a pattern here. Most of the products on this page come with their own unique twist on the tripod format. The goose neck, ball head design of this tripod earned it its rightful place on this list.
- Adjustable goose neck design
- Durable build with a 12-month guarantee
- The clip is firm and very easy to use
- Heavier, non-GoPro cameras can cause the arm to sag a little
5. UBeesize Tripod S
Compatible with both smartphones and GoPros, the UBeesize Tripod S brings a whole new level of convenience to your photography. Like other options on our list, this option uses adjustable ball-head-style legs that can position your camera in a variety of different angles.
One thing this tripod does have that some other options don’t consider is a wireless remote for triggering your shots. This provides a considerable amount of extra control when working, especially when taking photos in environments when you’re likely to have a lot on your hands.
Just press the trigger button on your remote to take a shot hands-free. This makes things like selfies and more complex images much more achievable. The thicker, more premium metal used to make this tripod significantly boosts its durability.
Provided you don’t go out of your way to break it, this thing should last you a fairly long time. Further adding to the sturdiness of this handy accessory are the higher-grade metal ball joints that can support a camera up to 1kg.
When you consider that even the heaviest GoPro products are around 0.2KG, this thing comes with more than enough support for your camera.
- Sturdy, durable design
- Wireless remote for hands-free shooting
- Universal mount to accommodate a wide range of cameras
- The tripod legs could be a little longer
6. Fotopro UFO 2 Tripod
The striking design of this tripod screams durability from the moment you look at it. It’s not just appearances either. The legs of the unit are coated in a high-density rubber material that stands up remarkably well to a bit of rough treatment.
The weather sealing that’s used throughout the tripod helps keep the whole thing waterproof when working outdoors. This is a good option for those who capture a lot of water sports or outdoor scenarios with their camera.
Like many of the best GoPro tripod options, the Fotopro UFO 2 uses fully adjustable “octopus” legs that can wrap around a diverse range of solid objects. If it stands still and is solid, you can probably attach your camera to it.
Other great considerations with this model include the 360° swivel head that gives users tons more shooting perspective to work with. For panning landscape shots, for example, this feature is a godsend.
The max loading capacity of 800g with this tripod should be more than enough to handle any GoPro you throw at it. Overall, this is an excellent tripod for use with a GoPro camera. Its durability and weatherproofing really stand out here in particular.
- Very tough design with improved stability
- 360° swivel head for increased shooting perspective
- Waterproof legs
- Some users report connectivity issues with the included remote
7. Smatree 3-Way Tripod
This tripod seems a little peculiar at first glance but trust us, it can prove super-flexible in the right contexts. The high-quality aluminium alloy body of the Smatree can fold into three unique positions. This allows users to adjust their camera to an angle that suits their environment.
The versatile swivel head on this tripod can rotate 360°, adding tons of room to make sure everything’s perfect when you’re shooting. If you need a tripod that’s easy to carry with you, this option might be worth considering.
The Smatree can fold away to a relatively small footprint. Add this to its lightweight 15.9oz construction and you’re dealing with a pretty portable piece of kit.
While it seems counterintuitive, the lighter weight of this model makes it considerably more resistant to accidental drops and knocks. If your camera work involves crashing through the wilderness, this tripod should keep up for quite a while.
We were confused by the design at first, but we’re now fully convinced. This is a great option for those who need a portable GoPro tripod that can stand up to a bit of abuse.
- 360° swivel head design
- Lightweight and portable
- Can double as a selfie stick
8. eCostConnection Tripod Stand
We’ve included this more generic option for those looking for a more standard approach to their GoPro tripod. Both the price point and feature set of this model on Amazon caught our attention.
The built-in bubble indicator on this model is a nice touch. It makes it significantly easier to keep your composition steady when setting up your shot. If you’re a stickler for accuracy, then features like this are worth looking out for.
The aluminum alloy construction of this product makes it a relatively durable piece of kit that’s easy to carry with you. If you take advantage of the wider lens angle on your GoPro, the traditional, sturdy design of this tripod should serve you well.
Another nice-to-have with this listing is that each order comes with its own microfibre cloth for keeping your camera in top-notch condition.
This one’s a simple option but sometimes, there’s no need to over complicate things.
- Simple, straightforward design
- Well priced and affordable
- Free microfibre cloth
- Included bubble level for improved accuracy
- Works fine for smaller cameras like a GoPro, but a hefty DSLR may be too heavy
GoPro Tripod Tips – What to Look Out For
There are a few things to keep in mind when looking for a new mount for your action camera. Not all of the factors listed below are essential, but they’re worth considering when choosing a new mount.
It doesn’t have to be indestructible, but you should make sure you’re buying a tripod that can stand up to the type of environments you’re likely to use it in. If you’re always taking shots of your adventures down the river rapids, for example, it’s probably best to pick up a tougher mount.
Again, this depends on the type of GoPro photography you’re into. Generally speaking, though, a lot of GoPro shots are taken outdoors in more “extreme” conditions. For this reason, it’s probably a good idea to check how water resistant the components of your tripod are.
Some tiny tripods will work perfectly in certain use cases. In others, though, they’ll be frustratingly inadequate. Have a think about how much room for expansion you’d like to have at your disposal. Pick a product that fits these requirements.
All of the GoPro tripods listed on this page are super adjustable and easy to tweak for each shot. If you’re looking elsewhere, check to see how adaptable the tripod in question actually is. The best tripods make it effortless to adapt to different scenarios on the fly.
Congratulations on making it to the end of this article! We hope that the tips and recommendations we’ve provided have given you a better understanding of what to look for when choosing a tripod for your GoPro camera.
Now that you have a clearer idea of the factors to consider when picking a tripod, take some time to think about the kind of photos or videos you’d like to capture with your GoPro. Whether you’re into extreme sports, nature photography, or just capturing everyday moments, there’s a tripod out there that can help you achieve your vision.
Remember, the right tripod can make all the difference when it comes to capturing stable, high-quality footage with your GoPro. So, take your time and choose a mount that fits your needs and preferences.
We hope that this article has been helpful to you and that you’re now well-equipped to choose the best tripod for your GoPro camera. Happy shooting!