Skateboarding is more than just a sport. It’s a form of artistic expression that combines skill, talent, and a sense of adventure. Every skateboarder knows the thrill of landing a trick after countless attempts, and the desire to capture that perfect moment is almost as strong as the desire to land the trick itself.
But capturing that moment isn’t just about having steady hands and the right timing – it also requires the right camera to do justice to your skills. In this article, we’ll explore the best cameras for skateboarding and help you find the perfect tool to capture your moments of glory. So grab your board, prepare for some action, and dive in!
After delving into research here is a comprehensive list of the best skateboarding cameras and their remarkable features that can be considered as the perfect pick to capture your skateboarding moments.
- When it comes to skateboarding cameras, the RealAction Pro 4K camera is a great choice, as it is compact, compatible with various accessories, and offers a 3-year warranty.
- The VholdR Video Camera is specifically designed to mount on a helmet, but it lacks some modern features and is considered expensive for what it offers.
- The Replay XD Camcorder is a lightweight and compact camera with a high-quality lens, multiple mounts, and various features like wind noise regulation, LED indicator with vibration feedback, and HDMI output. It also has 360° lens rotation and is compatible with SnapTray VHB bases.
- The Sony FDR-AX700 and Panasonic 4K Ultra HD Video Camera are high-end cameras that are ideal for professionals.
- The Ordro AC3 and GoPro Hero 8 Black are more affordable options that are great for beginners.
- The Ordro AC3 has a night vision recording feature, an external microphone, and a wide-angle lens.
- The GoPro Hero 8 Black is small, compact, and waterproof, making it perfect for outdoor activities.
- The Canon Vixia R800 is an entry-level camera with good shooting performance, 1080p resolution, 60fps, and slow and fast motion recording features. It also has a 3.0-inch touch panel LCD screen with 57x Advanced Zoom and SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization features.
- The Rosdeca 4k video camera is budget-friendly and user-friendly, with a 48MP lens, 13MP CMOS sensor, 4k support, and 16x zoom. It also has a 3.0 rotatable touch screen display, time-lapse feature, and night light feature. The package includes a SD card, two lithium-ion batteries, an external microphone, wide-angle lens, and USB cable.
- The Sauleeo 4k Camera is a cost-efficient camera for beginners, with a 30MP lens, CMOS sensor, and 16x digital zoom. It is lightweight, comes with two 1500mAh batteries, and has a remote control feature.
- The Actinow Video Camera 4K Camcorder has a 48MP lens, 13MP CMOS image sensor, 4k support, and similar features to the Rosdeca 4k. It also provides Wi-Fi and App connection for data transfer and comes with several accessories.
Best Camera For Skateboarding: Our Top Picks
1. RealAction Pro 4K Camera
The RealAction Pro 4K camera is one of our favorite picks for skateboarding. It’s compatible with a wide variety of accessories that let you mount it on your helmet or strap it to your chest, and the compact form factor makes it hardly noticeable when you wear it.
You can shoot 4K, 1080P, or 720P video and also capture stills. The companion app will let you control the camera with WiFi, too.
Video is recorded to a Micro SD card, and the camera has decent battery life as far as action cameras go.
The biggest advantage of the RealAction Pro 4K is the 3-year warranty that you can add on to your purchase. There’s a good chance your camera will take some knocks and bumps when skating, so in case you damage it, you can get it repaired.
The alternative to this camera and warranty is getting a GoPro($400+) from Best Buy and getting their warranty for an additional $100 or so.
The GoPro definitely shoots better video, but if you don’t want to spend that much and still avail of a good camera with a warranty, consider the RealAction Pro.
Also, if you buy more than one camera at once, you can get a discount.
2. VholdR Video Camera
Specifically designed to mount it on your helmet, the Vhold R Video Camera just looks like the perfect skateboard camera to capturing your skateboarding videos.
With a 90-degree viewing angle and a 3.6mm lens that can rotate up to 180 degrees along with the CMOS camera, Vhold R has got an aluminum body with a baked fiberglass base which seems pretty durable and is also water-resistant.
The biggest highlight of the Vhold R Video Camera is it is a helmet camcorder, which also has the advantage of being a wireless device that can be mounted on the helmet that enables you to document your entire skateboarding adventure with super convenience.
It captures the video in MP4 video.avi format in a micro SD Memory card. You can easily compress your videos with Xvid codec which is a free download, the same can be used to read your file if you are planning to edit your videos.
The camera consists of a USB port below the rear cap which is the only charging option and a microphone in the front with a glass cover on the lens. However, an extra lens cap is missing.
There are two laser pointers that allow you to adjust the lens horizontally or vertically. The package is equipped with a USB cable and a single helmet mount.
The Vhold R Video Camera, even though it has the mounting feature lacks many modern features one of them being control of the background wind noise which would eventually disrupt your overall video experience.
This is an advanced and essential feature required for filming skateboarding that is available in other cameras within the same pricing. It can be concluded that this skating video camera is highly-priced keeping its features under consideration.
- Shoot to share online technology
- One touch on and off switch
- Laser-activated smart leveling
- Rugged and withstands dust, dirt, mud, and snow
- Records up to 2 hours of video footage
3. Replay XD camcorder
The Replay XD camcorder is a lightweight and compact camera with a high-quality lens which comprise of a 135 degree wide-angle that provides a full field view.
The camera has certain key features like full HD shooting in multiple modes including 1920 x 1080p at 30fps and 1280 x 720p at 60fps which is chiefly recommended to capture motile sports videos like skateboarding. Along with Capturing 5MP still images at multiple intervals the Replay XD Camcorder is also loaded with the 5MP CMOS Image sensor feature.
Built with a resilient aluminum frame, this device is highly robust and is even water-resistant. Furthermore, to keep your device safe from external damage the device incorporates a double O ring sealed lens bezel.
Equipped with two mounts the HeimLock mount for tilt and the LowBoy mount for fixed mount both offer 360°lens rotation and is compatible with the SnapTray VHB bases.
For safe mounting on smooth surfaces like rubber, coating, powder coat, LSE, and HSE plastics the camera is equipped with 2 Flat SnapTrays and 2 curved SnapTrays with 3 M VHB adhesive. The 3 M VHB adhesive guarantees secure mounting and easy removal without damaging the surfaces of your equipment.
It also provides you with certain extra features like an inbuilt microphone which is engineered to regulate wind noises, a 3.5mm external microphone, an LED indicator with vibration feedback that notifies you whilst the camera is recording. With the HDMI output, you will be able to record and live stream your videos at the same time. The microSD and SDHC cards are compatible with this device where videos are recorded directly.
Connection option includes the mini HDMI output with an integrated Wi-Fi feature and a mini USB cable which enables you to easily upload content on the net. The memory card can also be easily removed and placed in the computer’s card reader.
- LowBoy Mount, HeimLock Mount
- Natural Wide View
- AGC Interal Mic
- Smallest & Lightest HD Camera
- Waterproof without a Case up to 10'
4. Panasonic 4K Ultra HD Video Camera
A renowned name in the world of electronics, this Panasonic 4k Ultra High Definition Video Camera with 4k support can be considered as one of the best featured devices in the camera market for filming and treasuring your skateboarding moments.
The main highlight of the camera is the LEICA DICOMAR 20X stabilized lens another renowned name in the industry that produces high-tech precision microscopes that gives you pro-quality images with the extreme focus for sharp and detailed images.
The high-resolution HDR mode and 0.24 Inch Wide EVF is also one of its key features that give you detailed and clear images in the day as well as night. It is equipped with an inbuilt editing feature to edit your videos instantly and easily. With the 4k cropping, you can easily do subject zooming without distorting the image quality.
This skateboard camera provides an easy connection with your smartphone through its Wi-Fi and application enabled technology to transfer data quickly and safely.
Along with the camera the pack is equipped with USB and micro HDMI cables, rechargeable battery packs, built-in shoe adapter, and lens hood. This camera is certainly an ideal pick for professional shooting.
- Get in Close and Detail: 18.91 Megapixel MOS sensor plus 20x Zoom LEICA Decomar Lens (4.08-81.6 millimeter), plus 5-axis Hybrid O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)
- 1/2.3-Inch BSI Sensor: The Back Side Illumination Sensor has a large effective area with 8.29M effective pixels, suppressing noise even when shooting in dimly lit conditions. Image Sensor is 1/2.3-inch BSI MOS Sensor
- 4K Recording and In-Camera Editing: Ultra-sharp 4K Ultra HD recording, plus in-camera editing for 1080p displays; Total Pixels 18.91 megapixels, still image 7.00 megapixels [3:2], 8.29 megapixels [16:9], 6.22 megapixels [4:3]
- HDR Movie Feature: Exclusive high-dynamic range feature suppresses blown highlights and blocked shadows for crisper and clearer videos
- Wireless Twin Camera: Wirelessly connect your smartphone's video camera as a sub-camera for a picture-in-picture video effect.Recording Format:JPEG (DCF/Exif2.2)
5. Ordro AC3 Skateboard Camera
With Full touch and capacitative IPS of 3.1 inches alongside 1080p at 60fps and 720 at 120 fps, the Ordro AC3 is yet another one of the best cameras to film skateboarding for beginner’s which may not be recommended for professionals.
The Ordro AC3 specifications include the 13 M Sony IMX258 sensors, which help you to comfortably manage dynamic light and take high-speed pictures. No matter how dark or dull space is, its night vision recording feature with IR LIGHT and LED LIGHT helps you in filming your skateboarding moments any time you want regardless of time constraints.
Furthermore, if you intend to add a black effect to your shots the IR light also filters your colour photo and modifies the colour to black rendering your shots with special effects.
The image processing feature of this camera improves image clarity along with a fixed zoom lens that has a focus power of up to 8 feet and its anti-vibration feature allows you to take shots at any space you intend to be.
One of the main highlights of the camera is the external microphone which may record every sound of your performed skill with extreme accuracy. You can also discard the background noise to hear accurate sounds of your skateboard that strike various grounds whilst you are demonstrating your skills.
To seamlessly transfer images it provides you with the LzxViewer App that can be downloaded on your smartphone. This device is compatible with 4GB to 128 GB SD cards to save your images and videos easily.
In any case, if you intend to detach the wide-angle lens, the remote control will be functional. This device also enables you to take prolonged shots for up to 90 minutes for videos and about 150 minutes for photos due to its high battery life.
The Ordro AC3 camcorder pack is equipped with
- 2 lithium batteries
- Water shotgun microphone
- Battery charger
- Lens cap
- Camera bag with strap
- Lens bonnet
- 135 degree wide-angle lens
- USB to microphone adapter
- Handheld camera stabilizer
- Micro USB cable
- USB charging cable
- HDMI cable
- Card reader
- 4K Camcorder Vlogging Camera for YouTube: With 4K@24FPS Ultra HD resolution, ORDRO HDR-AC3 can perform extremely high quality image and capture wonderful moment. Multiple resolutions available: 2K@30fps, 1080P@60FPS, 720P@120FPS. 3.1 inches IPS capacitive touch panel, 30X digital zoom. You need to purchase a memory card separately to use the camera, supports a standard SD card, up to 128GB. This camera can be used as a webcam for live streaming or video call.
- Video Camera with SONY IMX258 CMOS Sensor: SONY IMX258 is 13.0MP sensor, the maximum pixels is 24.0MP by interpolation, and it adopts Exmor RS technology. With the high-sensitivity sensor, it can sense the surrounding environment and delicately handle complex light. With fast image capture rate and image processing capability, it can enhance image clarity to perform more naturally vivid and lifelike image quality. (Tips: This camera is a fixed zoom lens, the focus distance is 3 feet or more).
- Digital Camcorder with an External Microphone: The ORDRO CM520 external microphone is perfect for this camcorder. With the exclusive hot shoe design, this camcorder supports to attach an external microphone or LED video light(Not included). The microphone can accurately pick up the sound, eliminate the noise and NCR noise reduction during recording, bringing you purer sound quality. (Tips: Please use the mini usb/mic adapter to connect external mic to camcorder and turn to "+10dB" position.
- IR Night Vision and Time-Lapse Functions: This camera can perform nature and high definition image in dark environment by during on IR light and LED light. Note: The image in infrared night vision mode is black and white, the effective distance＜16 ft. Enabling the camera's time-lapse function can record wonderful scenes that human eyes cannot perceive, please connect the external power supply to the camera for a long recording. The camera supports recording while charging, and pause function.
- Professional Accessories(Wide Angle Lens, Lens Hood, Handheld Stabilizer): Professional 2-in-1 0.39x (with macro lens) wide angle lens for a wider range of shooting. The lens hood can block excess light and protect the camera lens from accidental damage. Handheld stabilizer can effectively improve the stability of the image, and perfect for low-angle video recording. The camera is also equipped with a remote control, battery charger, 2 batteries, lens cap, camera bag and strap, USB/HDMI cable.
6. GoPro Hero 8 Black
With 12-MP lens and 4k resolution, the GoPro Hero8 is a small and compact action camera that is probably the best piece of skateboard filming equipment on this list. With the super photo and HDR mode, it provides you with premium quality videos and images with minute details. The super view mode is the ultimate feature that gives you ultra-wide shots.
As skateboarding is all about twist turns and jerks, to capture a seamless jerk-free skateboarding moment the Hypersmooth 2.0 is one of the best and premium features specifically designed to stabilize videos and regulate trembling and is highly recommended to capture skateboarding.
To avoid wind noises the GoPro Hero 8 has an advanced wind noise reduction feature to give you a flawless video experience. For time-lapse videos, the time warp 2.0 automated systems are installed to give you the perfect images in motions.
One of the most important parts of the skateboard filming is the Slo-Mo recording, which not just captures video but gives you a detailed snap of your skills to be admired. The GoPro Hero 8 has got 8X Slo-Mo with an ultimately high frame rate which is around 1080p at 240fps to picture the intensity of your skills.
One of the most common customer concerns is durability. When it comes to the durability it is impact resistant and waterproof up to 10m, this feature remains unmatched and makes it distinct from any other high-end camera. It may be a bit more expensive but is definitely worth your money taking its premium features under consideration.
- HyperSmooth 2.0: HERO8 Black has three levels of stabilization – On, High and Boost. Get the widest views, or boost to the smoothest video ever offered in a HERO camera. Works with all resolutions and frame rates, and features in-app horizon leveling
- Streamlined Design: The re-imagined shape is more pocketable, and folding fingers at the base let you swap mounts quickly. A new side door makes changing batteries even faster, and the lens is now 2x more impact-resistant compared to previous models
- Expandable Mods: Vloggers, pro filmmakers and aspiring creators can do more than ever imagined with our HERO8 Black mods (sold separately). Media Mod gives you shotgun-mic performance and lets you attach Light Mod and Display Mod to up your capture game
- Live Streaming in 1080p: Share while you’re there. Live stream in 1080p on social media, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later
- TimeWarp 2.0: Capture super-stabilized time lapse videos while moving through an activity. Automatically adjust speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting. Slow the effect to real time – savoring special moments – and then tap to speed it back up
7. Canon Vixia R800
An entry-level camera recommended for beginners to capture their skateboarding moments with good shooting performance. Along with the HD standard picture resolution of 1080p with 60fps and Slow and fast motion recording feature, this camera has got the 3.0-inch touch panel LCD screen with 57x Advanced Zoom feature that enables you to shoot distant shots easily without sabotaging your picture quality. A built-in video editor feature is also added to modify your videos instantly.
If you love yourself and desire to take a flawless selfie the 270o rotatable display will do the trick for you as you will easily be able to see your capturing frame being in front of the lens.
The SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization feature enables you to shoot steady and sharp clips with bare hands without using a tripod as it auto stabilizes movements of trembling hands that are capturing the shots.
The Canon Vixia R800 is user friendly as it is portable and extremely lightweight. Another important feature is the high capacity and heavy battery backup of BP-727 which provides you extensive shooting hours without heating much along with the heavy and durable original adapter of CA-110 to give you a safe and quick charging experience.
To easily transfer your precious captured data this mid-range Handycam comprises an HDMI and a USB cable that enables you to connect the camera to the TV along with pcs and laptops to transfer data safely and conveniently. To further maintain the safety of your data it provides you with the File Lock function ensuring your data safety from technical errors or mishaps. This Canon Vixia R800 is certainly one of the best skateboarding cameras.
- A 3.0-inch capacitive touch panel LCD screen that is bright and clearly visible, even outdoors in the sun, with rich, natural color reproduction
- SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer helps correct camera shake quickly, so even handheld video taken at long focal lengths can be sharp and steady
- The 57x advanced zoom allows you to create videos with dynamic variety, and is less likely to disrupt the action you're shooting
- High-resolution HD CMOS Image Sensor features extra sensitivity that delivers beautifully lifelike Full HD video with natural color, even in low light
- Turn your VIXIA camcorder into a high-quality webcam using its clean HDMI output
8. Rosdeca 4k video camera
With 48MP lens and 13MP CMOS sensor for high-quality videos and images the Rosdeca with 4k support, and 16x zoom to get a reach of distant objects is a budget-friendly and extremely user-friendly camcorder for filming skateboarding.
Along with a 3.0 rotatable touch screen display that enables you to see your frame for capturing your perfect onboard skating selfies it is equipped with the time-lapse feature to encapsulate and compile your skilful moves in one single shot and the night light feature that enables you to take photos in the dark.
One of the main highlights is that the camcorders box is highly equipped with crucial complimentary essentials like
- SD card
- Two lithium-ion batteries
- External microphone (performs better than the in-built mic)
- Wide-angle lens
- USB cable (enables you to connect the camera to the PC and transform the camcorder into a webcam )
Package attested with a 1-year warranty and one-month free replacement or refund.
The Rosdeca 4k is a budget-friendly camera for beginners which may not provide premium features like high resolution and image stabilization compared to other high-end cameras but is a genuine pick for amateur photographers.
- Ultra HD 4K Camcorder & 48MP: The 4k camcorder can finish extremely high quality and vivid videos. And it adopts for 13.0MP sensor, and the maximum pixels is 48.0M. The video camera supports 16X Digital Zoom (no autofocus), pause function. 2 rechargeable batteries and recording while charging function allow you to uninterrupted power. 3.0 inch IPS touch screen can rotate up to 270 degrees, which is great for video vloggers
- External Stereo Microphone & Wide Angle Lens: Unique hot shoe function to attach an external microphone (included), which adopts X-Y stereo pickup technology, eliminates the noise, enhance sound quality. It is always used in family gatherings, birthday parties, conferences, lectures, courses, film production, etc. The wide angle lens, professional 0.39X 2 in 1 HD wide-angle lens with macro lens, captures wide view and tiny meticulous landscape
- Webcam & IR Night Vision: The 4k video camera can be used as webcam. Just connect the camera to your computer with a USB cable and select PC Camera mode. Then open the Facebook, Youtube and Instagram page to start a video call and live stream. Under the infrared night light or LED light (included), the video and photo functions can be used as normal in the dark night, and the color is in black and white
- Wi-Fi Connection & Time-Lapse Photography: Download "NovaCam" APP, control the 4k camcorder with your tablet or smartphone (valid range: 9.8 feet), and preview, browse images or download files from the camera to mobile phone or tablet for sharing. The video camera supports time-lapse photography, which can compress the process of slowly changing the scene into a short period of time you want, like sunrise and sunset, flowers bloom, tide ebb
- Holiday Gift & Warranty: This video camera is the perfect choice for a Christmas surprise, birthday gift, holiday present, wedding gift idea. Includes an external microphone, a wide angle lens, a lens cover, two camera batteries, a power adapter, a HD OUT cable, a USB cable, a SD card, an English user manual, a camera bag. Rosdeca supports 1 month free replacement or refund, 1 year warranty. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us
9. Sauleeo 4k Camera
The Sauleeo 4k with 30MP lens and CMOS sensor along with the 16x digital zoom which gives 4k Ultra HD resolution videos at 24fps is yet another entry-level HD camera for beginners. If you are running out of budget this camera is the perfect pick for you to shoot your skateboarding moments as it’s one of the cheapest options available for beginners.
Extremely handy and lightweight and comes with two 1500mAh batteries for flawless filming experience which also gives you the advantage of taking snaps whilst recording a video.
One of its main highlights is the remote control feature which allows you to operate the camera by yourself. All you have to do is fix the camera on a tripod and operate with the remote. This feature makes it very easy to film skateboarding videos.
The Sauleeo 4k is basically a cost-efficient camera if you are a beginner and looking for something with minimal features to do the task for you in a limited budget.
10. Actinow Video Camera 4K Camcorder
With a 48MP lens and 13MP CMOS image sensor, the Actinow video camera is another handy camera with 4k supporting. It is certainly extremely easy to use the equipment for onboard shots with good features. Its features and performance are quite similar to those of Rodesco 4k.
The main highlight of this camera is the connectivity feature that provides Wi-Fi and App connection to phone or PC to ease your data transfer process.
Along with the camera the Actinow Video Camera, the package is equipped with
- USB and HDMI cable
- Wide-angle lens
- External microphone
- DV bag to safe the camera
- Camera bag to safe your camera and other accessories
- Lithium battery
- LED video light
- Video Camera: This video camera max supports 1080P(30FPS) AVI Video Resolution, 24M (6000x4500) JPEG Image Resolution. 3. 0 inch 270 degree rotation TFT LCD screen, 16X digital zoom, built-in fill light, Anti-shaking, Face detect, Smile capture, Self-timer, Webcam function, Pause function, Beauty function, internal and external Microphone and Speaker record sound videos）, USB 2. 0, TV Output and so on. （The camera is designed for Amateurs, not for Professional Users）
- External Microphone and Remote Control: The camcorder built-in and external microphone reduce sound distortion and increase clarity. The external microphone enhances sound recording volume and reduces noise. It supports remote control(within 7 meters) and camera tripod （the tripod is not included）, you can take photos and videos by yourself at home or outdoor. No members are excluded from the group photo. The camcorder support LED fill Light(LED fill light can't be used under Playback mode).
- Pause function: The camcorder supports the pause function, a good choice for YouTube and logging. You can continue the recording in the same File without restarting a new one. You can pause or restart the video by press the "photo" Button. And then you can download the video to your computer through a USB cable and then edit it before uploading to your social media, also can use a AV cable connect to the TV to watch the photos and videos. Also share it to social platforms such as YouTube at any time.
- Recording While Charging: The digital camera comes with two 3. 7V 1500mAh Li-ion battery Model: NP-FV5）. One full-charged battery can be sustainably used for 90-150 minutes. Or you can record videos while charging, in this case, you can record long enough videos as you wish and no need to worry about battery drains. The camera supports SD memory card and MMC card, 4GB up to 32GB(The SD card or MMC card is not included, please format the SD card before using this camera).
- Perfect Gift & Quality Assurance: The camera is small, lightweight carry to everywhere and simple to use. ACTi now camera supports a one-year . If you have any problems or concerns, please feel free to contact us, we will give you a satisfied solution within 24 hours.
In conclusion, capturing your skateboarding skills requires the right camera with specific features that complement the sport. While the GoPro Hero 8 is a premium option that fulfills all the requirements for professional recording and vlogging, it comes at a high price.
If you’re on a budget and just want to showcase your skills to friends and family, the Canon Vixia R800 offers a good mid-range option. And if you’re a beginner, the Sauleeo 4K camcorder can get the job done.
Remember, the final selection of the camera depends on your specific needs and budget. Regardless of which camera you choose, the most important thing is to have fun while capturing your skateboarding moments. Share your videos with your friends and family, or even post them online to inspire others.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab your skateboard and your camera and start capturing those amazing moments today!