Leica cameras bring about a new experience for the photographer and transform their photos into lively masterpieces. The camera has an aesthetic design and is simple in functionality. Leica cameras are hand-crafted with high-quality materials and are built to last.
Leica cameras have many features that make them the perfect purchase and a great choice in the photography industry. Some of these features are:
- Since the Leica cameras are built to last, they hold their value over time.
- Leica prides itself on quality control as small batches are manufactured.
- The Leica cameras have the quietest shutter release for taking discreet images.
- Leica cameras are designed for all types of locations and environments – extreme heat and extreme cold.
In this article, I will look into some more special features of Leica cameras such as What is Leica known for? An insight into Leica has a rugged built, it is a compact camera, it is a rangefinder camera.
A comparison between SLRs and rangefinder cameras, the amazing attention to detail in Leica cameras, and why Leica lenses are considered to be so good. Lastly, I have added photographs taken with a Leica camera.
Leica cameras have many special qualities. The name Leica has always been associated with its cutting-edge design and top-of-the-line engineering. Leica has completely revolutionized photography and how we shoot images. Leica is known for its high-quality cameras and its hefty price tag, however, many photographers believe that the cameras are well worth their prices.
I have listed a few of the qualities that Leica is known for:
Leica cameras have a reputation for their sleek and gorgeous design. However, their durability is worth noting. You can drop the Leica camera on any surface and there will be no damage to your camera. Leica has claimed that the cameras can take a fall up to 3.9 feet.
The rugged black exterior in Leica cameras is sealed to make the camera dust resistant. The exterior can also go through various climatic changes, such as frigid temperatures, pouring rain, tropical heat and a blizzard.
Leica cameras are shockproof and also waterproof. They can be submerged up to 49 feet in the water without any damage to the exterior of the internal parts of the camera.
The compact models of Leica are unique as well advanced. They may be small in stature but are huge in performance. The compact camera of Leica is very easy to handle, whether in manual mode or automatic mode. From a novice to a professional photographer, anyone can benefit from these compact cameras.
The small size of the Leica cameras allows the photographer to blend into the environment and find the best angle to take a photo. Other DSLRs tend to cover the face of the photographer, making them intimidating, but that’s not the case with Leica cameras.
The compact size of the Leica cameras makes them the best companion while travelling, as they do not take up much space in your camera bag and do not add to the weight. Furthermore, they are on-the-spot shooting cameras and do not take any prior settings.
Rangefinder cameras are smaller, lighter and produce higher quality images. They focus using a dual image rangefinding device bringing two images into correlation at perfect focus. Leica rangefinder cameras allow you to see what is about to happen in your frame.
The Leica rangefinder cameras are extremely accurate and rugged in all conditions and small, lightweight, stealthy and well suited for intimate photography.
- Rangefinder cameras have higher image quality. The lenses attached to these cameras are smaller, sharper and have less distortion than the SLR lenses.
- Rangefinder cameras do not have a flipping mirror, so there is much less vibration when the camera is hand-held.
- Rangefinder cameras have far more precise focusing for normal as well as wide lenses.
- Rangefinder cameras are quieter as there are no mirrors flipping up and down after every shot. All you will hear is a quiet click of just the shutter.
- The viewfinders on the rangefinder camera never blackout, especially with the flash. You are always able to see the subject’s expression as it is recorded.
- Since rangefinder cameras are compact, you can focus, compose and shoot using both eyes.
- Rangefinder cameras have no shutter lag, so when you come across a moment, all you have to do is press the shutter button and the moment is captured that very second.
- Rangefinders can run for years on a single battery.
- The SLR camera sees the exact point of view and the exact perspective as the lens. No matter how long or short your lens is, or the distance to the subject, your image will be exactly how the lens sees it.
- The SLR allows you to focus manually anyplace in the frame by looking at it while you adjust the focus ring.
- The image quality of the SLR is inferior in comparison to the rangefinder, as the flipping mirror of an SLR can blur hand-held shots.
- The SLR cameras have a shutter lag. Although It may only take a mile-second for the mirror to get out of the way before the shutter can open, the moment that you hoped to capture might already be gone before the shutter opens.
- These cameras are too big and heavy than the rangefinder cameras.
- The settings on the SLR cameras are too complicated to adjust. By the time you ready the SLR to shoot, the moment is gone.
- Modern SLRs require you to bring batteries and chargers along with them.
Leica cameras excel in capturing even the tiniest detail in your photo. With its high-quality lens, this camera has a low-depth field with some sections of the image that are out of focus. These sections have a blurry effect on them.
The dynamic range of the Leica lenses allows you to capture any detail in the darkest and the brightest of times, without overexposing or under-exposing the photograph. Since the Leica lenses have excellent resolution, the details are visibly seen without any noise.
The Leica lenses have no other equal in the photography world. Leica makes their lenses with metal and glass, hence, they are smaller, faster and sharper. The Leica glass adds a special aesthetic look to the image that no other lens can match.
Since the Leica lenses are sharp, the need for sharpening the photos post-production is eliminated and the lenses are fixed with screws so they last longer. These lenses are the only lenses that come close to capturing the true colours exactly as they are in the scene.
Leica cameras are a full package for a photography enthusiast. These cameras bring out the best in every photographer as well as every scene. With its simplicity and durability, you can take pictures with a Leica camera from anywhere in the world.
Leica cameras are rugged, compact and built to last, which trumps the fact that they are very expensive. Since they are rangefinder cameras, the image quality is hard to beat. You can take out the camera and shoot a photograph on the spot without having to reset the settings every time.
These features make Leica cameras special and well worth the investment.