Good photography requires top-notch creativity. A photographer will go out of his or her way to provide outstanding services. One way to achieve tremendous results is by using high-quality equipment. Apart from using top-gear in your photo shooting sessions, you can opt to use photography backdrops like the ones from Gravity Backdrops.
Backdrops create a beautiful, memorable background for the main subject of the photo. Backdrops can help a photographer to produce sharp and unique images without struggling. These backdrops come in different shapes and sizes from different brands.
Not only do they come in different colors but also various forms. Some are freestanding while others require stands. Also, photography backdrops could have a solid color, hand painted, or air brushed design.
In this review, we’ll be telling you all you’d like to know about Gravity Backdrops. We explain what Gravity backdrops are, available forms and sizes, where and how to buy them, among other things.
What is Gravity Backdrops?
Gravity is a backdrop manufacturing company based in Europe specializing in the production of backdrops suitable for photographers and theatre productions. These guys in the creative industry use quality cotton canvas in their production and have a wide range of collections in their custody.
When dealing with them, you’re not just limited to what they already have – if you need something customizable and more personal, they’ll still deliver.
Interestingly, Gravity is open to both simple and complex projects. What’s more, they offer hand painted backdrops at competitive prices.
Nothing beats their pricing as you’ll be surprised to acquire your contexts at a price less than what you’d pay to rent them. We explain their pricing in the following paragraph.
Single and double-sided backdrops
These drops are available from standard sizes to extra large sizes. Their prices are as follows for single-sided backdrops:
- standard backdrop 1.6×2.5m – €300
- mid backdrop 1.9×2.8m – €350
- large backdrop 2.1×2.8m – €400
- large + backdrop 2.8x3m – €600
- and extra-large backdrop 2.8x4m – €800
Double-sided backdrops, on the other hand, cost as follows:
- standard backdrop 1.6×2.5m – €450
- mid backdrop 1.9×2.8m – €500
- large backdrop 2.1×2.8m – €600
- extra-large backdrop 2.8x3m – €1000
Apart from their standard pricing, they also have promo backdrops packages that come with free backdrops and shipping. They’re as follows:
- Gravity start 4 XS for €800
- basic 3x standard size for €700
- advance M 3x mid-size for €800
- advance L 2x large size + 1 free standard size for €800
- professional L 4x large size for €1200
- gold 2L 2x large + 1 free mid-size for €850
- platinum 2L 2x large plus size + 1 free mid-size for €1200
- Gravity ultimate 2 XL 2x extra-large size for €1600
All the promo packages come with free shipping.
Before we can let you know how and where to get your backdrops when you need them, let’s dig a little deeper into other details that we think you should know about gravity backdrops. Well, the purpose of this review is to help you gather as much information as possible.
Backdrops from Gravity are not canvas or muslin; instead, they’re custom hand-painted on a thick drop cloth. The build quality is pretty excellent and looks durable and sturdy when compared with a seamless paper. When it comes to using the backdrops, everything is straightforward.
First, Gravity Backdrops arrive in a hard-plastic tube, with the ends protected by a layer of plastic, canvas, and another layer of vinyl. Gravity backdrops all rolled up together, and nothing separates them. If you plan not to use your products immediately or any time soon, always store them horizontally and not in a vertical manner.
Each backdrop has its color written on the back. Understand that these products do not come with stands and because they’re heavy as you’d expect for a canvas covered with paint – you’ll need a strong position to use.
A savage stand can be a good bet. Also, these gravity backdrops do not have any mounting tool on them, so you’re going to do some improvisation, maybe clamp them up, or whatever will work for you.
Any photographer without their studio needs to understand that these backdrops are quite large, and transporting them to different places can be a challenge. It can also be a challenge even for those with their studios. But the exciting part is they are rollable.
When we talk about image quality, there’s no doubt that a hand painted backdrop always produces incredible results. As much as we tend to concentrate on the primary object of a photo, the background plays a significant role in creating the scenery. You understand that the mood and the atmosphere of any photo speaks volumes – that’s what you achieve with a Gravity backdrop.
A few things to mention, though, you might receive your backdrops with some minor imperfection – that should not worry you as some of them happen during shipping.
A common flaw is when your drop won’t lay perfectly smoothly the first time you take it out. Some times the edges of your backdrops might arrive damaged a little bit – that’s minor and normal things that would happen and should not raise much concern.
They have a website that lists all the products they have. If you browse through their site, you’ll see them all. But when it comes to making an order, you’ll have to contact them via Facebook. You can send them an email, but at the end of the day, you’ll have to go back to Facebook. There’s no way you can order directly from the site for reasons not clear to us.
You’ll see their products listed on their Facebook page in various sizes. Again, there’s no way to make a direct purchase, so, you must message them.
They’ll respond promptly to your query, whether it’s a price you’re confirming or placing an order. The whole process might feel awkward – some of the customers who have purchased their products say they felt at one point like they’ll never receive their packages.
Interestingly, their gravity backdrops were shipped to them and arrived earlier than expected. One thing for sure is that they have a good response time. Nothing can beat the professionalism in the hand painted backdrop – it brings some classic touch in your studio.
It’s like the magic of the invisible, and your clients will love your portraits even more. There’s a unique look that comes with a hand-painted canvas. Let us look at the benefits and shortcomings of Gravity backdrops.
- Painted backdrops give your images a classic background similar to those you see on covers of fashion magazines
- Gravity backdrops are durable and sturdy. The heavy material makes them withstand any harsh conditions. You can let your clients walk over them without worrying they’ll get destroyed. They’re way better than seamless paper in every aspect.
- Gravity backdrops are all uniquely hand-painted, and none takes after the other. Meaning you’ll have many options of shooting unique studio portraits.
- There’s no doubt that these guys have the best prices you’ll ever get. The price that you pay and the product that you receive might make you feel like you just got away with something.
- Finally, there’s excellent customer service to expect—something very critical when it comes to online shopping and not necessarily related to hand painted backdrops
- Some of these things are just bulky and can give you a hard time while in the studio. But that’s not a dealbreaker as you can always find a way to go about it.
We believe this review has helped you understand everything you’d like to know. Whether you’re a photographer with your studio or aspiring to get one, any backdrop would change your game.